The Functional and Long-Term Benefits of Dental Crowns
Posted by Jeanne V. Devi on Feb 11 2024, 12:19 AM
Dental crowns are custom-made caps that fit over your natural teeth to restore their shape, size, and strength. They can be made from various materials such as porcelain, ceramic, metal alloy, or a combination of these materials.
Dental crowns in Pasadena, CA, can protect weak or cracked teeth from further damage by providing an added layer of strength and support. They can also cover severely discolored or misshapen teeth to improve their appearance.
The Procedure For Getting a Dental Crown in Pasadena, CA
When it comes to dental crowns, the procedure is fairly straightforward. It typically involves two visits to our dentist in Pasadena, CA. During the first visit, your dentist will examine your tooth and prepare it for the crown. This may involve removing any decay or shaping the tooth so that the crown can fit properly.
Once your tooth is prepared, impressions will be taken and sent to a dental lab where your custom-made crown will be created. In the meantime, you may receive a temporary crown to protect your tooth.
During your second visit, which usually takes place a couple of weeks later, your temporary crown will be removed and replaced with a permanent one. Your dentist will carefully check its fit and make any necessary adjustments before permanently cementing it into place.
Getting a dental crown is a relatively simple process that can greatly improve both the function and appearance of a damaged or weakened tooth. So, if you have concerns about an existing dental issue, don't hesitate to consult with our experienced dentist in Pasadena, CA, in our office, who can guide you through this beneficial procedure!
Benefits of Dental Crowns: A Functional Perspective
Dental crowns in Pasadena, CA, offer numerous benefits from a functional perspective, ensuring that your teeth not only look great but also function properly.
- One of the primary advantages of dental crowns is their ability to restore damaged or decayed teeth. When a tooth is severely chipped, cracked, or decayed, it can compromise its strength and functionality. Dental crowns act as protective caps that cover the entire tooth, providing support and preventing further damage.
- Another benefit of dental crowns is their durability. Made from strong materials such as porcelain or metal alloys, they can withstand the forces of chewing and biting without breaking or fracturing. This means that you can enjoy all your favorite foods without worrying about damaging your crown.
- In addition to restoring damaged teeth, dental crowns also help in improving bite alignment and overall oral function. By placing a crown on a misaligned tooth or filling in gaps caused by missing teeth with implant-supported crowns, you can enhance your bite and ensure proper distribution of force when chewing.
- Moreover, dental crowns are custom-made to match the color, shape, and size of your natural teeth. This ensures a seamless blend with your existing smile while maintaining an aesthetically pleasing appearance.
Considering the functional benefits of dental crowns in Pasadena, CA, makes them an excellent option for repairing damaged teeth while preserving oral health and functionality for years to come.
How to Care for Your Dental Crown
Caring for your dental crown is essential to ensure its longevity and maintain your oral health. Here are some simple yet effective tips on how to care for your dental crowns in Pasadena, CA :
- Practice good oral hygiene: Brushing twice a day and flossing daily will help keep your dental crown clean and free from plaque buildup. Use a soft-bristle toothbrush and non-abrasive toothpaste to avoid scratching the surface of the crown.
- Avoid hard or sticky foods: Dental crowns are sturdy, but they can still be damaged by biting into hard foods like ice or using your teeth as tools. Additionally, sticky foods like caramel or chewing gum can pull on the crown, causing it to become loose.
- Wear a mouthguard during physical activities: If you participate in sports or other physical activities where there is a risk of impact to the face, wearing a mouthguard can help protect both your natural teeth and dental crowns from damage.
- Visit our dentist regularly: Regular check-ups with our dentist in Pasadena, CA, are crucial for monitoring the condition of your dental crown and ensuring that it remains securely in place. Your dentist will also perform professional cleanings to remove any stubborn plaque or tartar buildup.
By following these simple guidelines, you can extend the lifespan of your dental crowns in Pasadena, CA, while maintaining optimal oral health.
Visit Jeanne V. Devi DDS at 595 E Colorado Blvd Suite 603, Pasadena, CA 91101, for the best dental care, or call us at (626) 795-2544 to book an appointment.