In recent years, laser dentistry has taken the place of many traditional dentistry practices, making treatments more accurate and less painful. At Jeanne V. Devi, DDS Aesthetic & Restorative Dentistry in Pasadena, California, we use laser dentistry to help our anxious patients who are uncomfortable with the sounds of a dental drill. Additionally, it reduces bleeding and swelling during soft tissue treatments and reduces the recovery time after dental procedures.
What Is Laser Dentistry?
Dental lasers use precisely focused high-intensity light beams used to modify or remove tissue in small amounts. They can be used to perform any of a wide range of treatments, including soft tissue shaping and removal. In addition, dental lasers cause very minimal damage to the surrounding tissue compared to conventional methods. Therefore, they cause pain and discomfort.
What Kind of Dental Care Can Lasers Provide?
Dental lasers can treat many oral health issues, including:
- Cancerous sores
- Root canal infections
- Gums that need reshaping
- Wisdom teeth that need removal
At our office, we use dental lasers for:
- Cavity detection – Lasers detect cavities on the biting surfaces of teeth which often go unobserved.
- Tooth decay – Lasers remove tooth decay and prepare them for a cavity filling.
- Gum disease – Lasers recontour gums and remove bacteria during root canal procedures, lesion removal, or oral cancer biopsy.
- Teeth whitening- Lasers can help whiten teeth swiftly with little to no pain.
What Are the Benefits of Laser Dentistry?
There are numerous benefits of using laser dentistry, including:
- Faster healing and tissue regeneration.
- More of the tooth structure is preserved.
- Reduced bleeding during and after treatment.
- Reduced need for anesthesia.
- Less need for stitches and sutures.
- Reduced risk of bacterial infections after procedures.
What Are the Types of Dental Lasers?
We use two types of lasers for treatments in our dental office: hard tissue lasers and soft tissue lasers.
Hard Tissue Lasers
They can primarily modify the tooth structure, as they can precisely cut your teeth, removing small amounts. They can also:
- Detect cavities
- Help reduce tooth sensitivity
- Prepare teeth for dental fillings
- Remove bonded restorations like crowns, veneers, bridges
- Disinfect root canals
Soft Tissue Lasers
They are ideal for cutting gums and other oral tissue. They cauterize exposed blood vessels as they cut, which minimizes bleeding and speeds up healing. They also:
- Treat restricted tongue movement
- Reshape gums
- Remove benign oral tumors
- Help in the healing of wounds after tooth extraction
- Do gingival recontouring and smile design
At Jeanne V. Devi, DDS Aesthetic & Restorative Dentistry in Pasadena, California, we are proud to offer laser dentistry as an option for our patients. You can reach Dentist in Pasadena CA at (626) 795-2544 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Jeanne V. Devi.