Dental inlays and onlays are restorative treatments that are used to repair teeth with mild to moderate decay or damage. They are a conservative alternative to dental crowns, as they preserve more of the natural tooth structure.
Inlays and onlays are custom-made to fit perfectly into the prepared cavity or onto the surface of the damaged tooth. Inlays typically fill cavities within the cusps (the raised points) of a tooth, while onlays cover a larger portion of the tooth's surface, including one or more cusps.
Procedure for Getting Dental Inlays and Onlays
The process of getting dental inlays and onlays is relatively straightforward and typically requires two appointments with your dentist. During the initial visit, your dentist will examine your tooth to determine if an inlay or onlay is the most suitable option for you. First, local anesthesia will be administered to numb the area around the tooth. This ensures a pain-free experience during the procedure. Next, any decay or damaged areas of the tooth will be removed to create space for the restoration.
After preparing the tooth, impressions of your teeth will be taken using dental putty or a digital scanner. These impressions are sent to a dental laboratory where skilled technicians custom-make your inlay or onlay. While waiting for your permanent restoration, a temporary filling may be placed to protect your tooth. Once your custom-made inlay or onlay is ready, you'll return for your second appointment. Your dentist will remove the temporary filling (if one was used) and carefully bond the permanent restoration onto your tooth using strong adhesive materials.
They will ensure that it fits perfectly within your bite and make any necessary adjustments before polishing it to give it a natural appearance.
Benefits of Dental Inlays and Onlays
Enhancing both the functionality and aesthetics of your smile, dental inlays, and onlays offer numerous benefits.
- These restorations provide a conservative approach to treating decay or damage. Unlike dental crowns that require significant reduction of the natural tooth structure, inlays and onlays allow for the preservation of healthy tooth material.
- In addition, since they are custom-made to fit your tooth precisely, inlays and onlays provide a seamless blend with your natural teeth. This ensures a more harmonious appearance while maintaining the integrity of your smile.
- Dental inlays and onlays are incredibly durable. Made from high-quality materials like porcelain or composite resin, they can withstand normal chewing forces for many years without chipping or breaking.
- Moreover, due to their precise fit and strong bond with the tooth structure, inlays and onlay restorations help strengthen weakened teeth by providing additional support.
- By sealing off any gaps between the restoration and the tooth surface, dental inlays and onlays prevent further decay or infection from occurring. This aids in maintaining good oral health over time.
So whether you opt for dental inlays and onlays – taking care of your teeth should always remain a top priority!
To get started on your inlays and onlays, call Jeanne V. Devi, DDS, dentist in Pasadena, CA, at (626) 795-2544 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Jeanne V. Devi.